Monday, September 28, 2009

shepherd's pie

So, the pie was pretty good.

It provided a lot of leftovers and the vegetables were very tasty. (Just got the Ingles brand)
I will say it needed some pop. Maybe some salt and pepper? Maybe something else. But this is a meal that I felt like I could play around with and try new things with, so hopefully next time it is made it will provide the pop I am looking for. I am sure Martha knows what to make it pop.

I will say this though. I have trouble when a recipe calls to "drain meat." I struggle with this severely. When the meat is browned, I start to get nervous, because I know what is coming next. "Draining the meat." So I pick up the scorching pan, take it over to the sink, tilt it ever so gently, and then BAM. It is like the meat wants to kill itself, completely making a suicide attempt into the garbage disposal, falling and screaming to its death. It goes everywhere, leaving me with a mess, a smaller amount of meat to deal with, and a guilty conscience that I just witnessed meat killing itself.

So if there is someone out there, who knows how to drain meet in a less suicidal and neater fashion, PLEASE let me know!


So overall, if I were on facebook, I would press the "I like" button for the shepherd's pie.

Something new I want to make. Homemade Brownies.
Like the cookies, I always buy the pre-made, mix and pour Duncan Hines box of brownie mix.
I would like to learn how to make homemade brownies.
That will be happening soon I hope.